As you are putting final touches on your syllabus, it should be helpful to be aware of the following scheduled maintenance dates.
We will be finalizing the actual work that will be done and there’s always a (slim) change it won’t affect access, and it may take less time than scheduled, but better safe than sorry.
Plan that there will be no access to Genesis, Blackboard, faculty email, library databases and the web site on the following dates:
- Sunday, September 20 – 8 am to 12 noon
- Monday, October 12 – 7 am to 5 pm (Columbus day holiday)
- Saturday, November 28 — 8 am to 4 pm (part of the Thanksgiving weekend)
Please, please, please… give your students a list of things they can do offline on these days. I am very aware that there are many students who have jobs, kids, parents, dogs, cows and just lives (although how do they get a life when I don’t have one!), and they do depend on the holidays to ‘catch up’ with your courses. Help them help themselves by being ready with suggestions on what they can do without needing to access Blackboard.
Any or all of the following:
- What can they download
- Reading assignments they should be doing
- Non-GCC web sites they can use
- What can they print from your course, work on offline, and upload later
You know your students won’t think of any of these… being prepared will help deal with some of the angst!
I’ll be sending reminders the week before each date, but wanted to send the list now!
Have a great semester!